Sunday, November 17, 2013

What a week (post-Windycon)!

So, that said, yes, it was a pretty tumultuous week, and not in a good way.  I've emerged... battered, bruised and beaten, but not defeated.  Some problems require a bigger bat and in this case, my bat was made from alcohol, geekery, Chinese food and my lovely wife (no, not like the leg-bone from my wife, or anything like that... OK, so it's not a perfect metaphor, so let's just move on).

It's Sunday, I've got a pot of Earl Grey and I've got some things to say.

I had a great time at WindyCon.  Our party was a success and a lot of fun to boot.  I had a great time walking around as the Janitor handing out our tickets.  I made a ton of Whisky Old-Fashioned (each one by hand, muddling the orange, cherry, sugar cube and bitters) and by 11pm (the party started at 9) we were pretty much out of everything.

As a gauge, I purchased 80 cups. We didn't have any left (and I even refilled several).  I had forgotten how much fun it was to tend bar and I had a blast.

I was able to attend a panel about Small Press and Self Publishing (which I tweeted about very actively during the panel).  I had a great time with it, it was Moderated by an author friend Chris Gerrib ('Pirates of Mars').  One of the panelists was author Paul Erickson ('The Wobbit') and I got the opportunity to see him (in all his hobbit garb) pretty much all weekend long as his booth was diagonal from Eggplant's.

During the panel, I would say that he gave us one of the best pieces of advice I've heard.  It's so simple it's often overlooked. It's so obvious it's easily missed and forgotten.

"Do what you love."

During the past week, I've read interviews, seen footage on youtube and even read the controversy between him and the National Lampoon's book (which is titled the same). If you get a chance, talk to him for five minutes... if you see him at a con, play some Moria Plinko and maybe win some candy or even a discount on his book.

Those four words can be applied to pretty much anything in life.  Though it requires a bit more work.  Finding out what you love is really important. Being honest with yourself about it is another.

Me, I work to live, I don't live to work and believe me... I love to live. So, when circumstances prevent me from doing the things that I refer to as "living" (enjoying time with my wife and family, socializing, gaming... just to name a few) then it bogs me down.

Fortunately, I don't stay bogged down for long and here I am, smiling, sipping my tea and writing to all nine of my readers (and perhaps even a future, older Benjamin who feels like slogging through the old archives of his dad's ramblings) telling them that yes, life beats you up.  Yes, life is tough, but as long as you have a firm grasp of what it is you love, you won't be able to let it hold you down.

Fall down seven times...

...get up eight.

This week is also a big week:  New release coming out ('Brass Stars' by A.G. Carpenter), Interview, Thanksgiving Prep, Victorian Lost on Saturday night (which I'm totally stoked for).  That's just barring any other issues life tosses our way.

Oh yeah... and I have that $150 million jackpot to win... so you know... no pressure. :)

As always, thanks for reading and thanks for your support!  Have a great week!

~Stephan

No comments:

Post a Comment