Friday, March 9, 2012

Funny thing about motivation and momentum

Total Word Count (approx.): 50.1K; Daily Word Count (approx.): 2.3K (700+ on Thursday afternoon)


OK, so here's the thing.  I've done more in the past few weeks than I have ever before.  That's certainly not how things started.


I started out working on this whenever.  An hour here, a few hours there, but not on a daily basis.  What got me motivated was attending that panel at Capricon and seeing my peers giving advice.  It was at that point (and the beginning of this blog) that I started devoting nightly time to writing.  

I heard this quote once (or maybe I read it) and it stuck with me.  How we treat ourselves in failure describes who we are.  That said, I don't always get my stuff done when I want to.  Yesterday, for example, I wanted to have 2000 words but got only 700.  

The idea is that when you don't reach a goal, don't beat yourself up.  Try and stay positive and get motivated to continue on with your work.  

It is this idea, this concept that has pushed me forward to meet my weekly goals every week.  Here I am, one week away from achieving my goal of finishing my first draft.  

So, at the end of an exhausting week, after life has interjected itself in my writing goal, I sit here in somnolence and try to say something motivational that doesn't sound egotistical and I hope that I have achieved that. 

Keep your chin up, roll with what life throws your way, and don't let your setbacks take you out of play.  It's alright to be delayed, but don't let those things that delay you change your life for the worse.  You're better than that.  :)

Thanks for reading and thanks for your support!

~Stephan

No comments:

Post a Comment