Wednesday, March 7, 2012

When in doubt... drink!

Total Word Count (approx.): 47.1K; Daily Word Count (approx.): 4.1K


I preface this post by saying that this is the first time I've ever done anything like this.   After this afternoon, I didn't really feel like writing tonight.  I was pretty exhausted, I already wrote my two-thousand words (even though I skipped last night since I knew I'd have the option today) and I had just come home from having dinner with the in-laws.

So, instead of succumbing to the lethargy of it all, I found something that smashed away the torpor, with a vengeance.  It's called alcohol.  In fact I'm hard pressed at this very moment to find a problem that a pint glass (or two) full of Irish Creme and Buttershots (with some ice) couldn't help with.  

Not that I'm encouraging alcoholism, nor do I want to feed into the stereotype that all writers must drink before composition.  I am, however, saying that it really cut into the languid feeling and while it didn't energize me, exactly, it did what alcohol does best.  It got me to issue a challenge.  

Fortunately for me, the challenge was internal and was with the written word and not in a bar facing down a few belligerent (and also drunk) hooligans looking for a fight.  

Anyroad, I believe this is a milestone for me.  I'm only about thirteen-thousand words away from my end goal for my first draft and I've never written over four-thousand words of fiction in one day before.  Well, unless you count grad school, but I don't.  

Thanks for reading and as always, thanks for your support!

~Stephan

No comments:

Post a Comment