Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Advice Day...

Total Word Count (approx.): 25.2K; Daily Word Count (approx.): 2.2K


Well, today was rough.  Trying to stick to a schedule with a one year old who doesn't can cause quite a bit of stress.  Particularly when sleep is missed.  Still, it ended on a positive note.  Had a great work-out at the gym, an awesome dinner, and then, when all I wanted to do was curl up and watch bad television shows on Netflix, I instead pounded out 2200 words.  


So, as the title states, today is advice day.  Not that I'm giving any.  Nope.  I just wanted to let folks know about it, where to get it, and how I feel about it.


First, for those of you who also follow my Facebook page, you'll note that I shared a link to Chuck Wendig's 'Terrible Minds' blog.  Today's article was very germane (one of my favorite words) to my life currently.  It was about Advice for Aspiring Authors.  Not only is it funny, but it's also very true, or I should say that its truth resonates with me strongly.  Like the Force.  I highly recommend reading it.  Especially if you feel you're one of my friends and want to offer me unsolicited advice.


Speaking of, I did a rant yesterday about it and I don't want to hash up what's in the past, but I do feel it important to re-iterate a few things with an addition:  Be a friend who offers support (NOT unsolicited advice from a "friend" of yours who may or may not be an "authority" on the subject).  If you want to help and offer advice, do research.   If you don't, that's fine too (I won't ever judge someone for NOT giving me advice), just admit it to yourself and move on.  Just don't be that person who offers uniformed information in a definitive manner.  It's self-aggrandizing and that's just unflattering.  More importantly, it's not at all helpful.   OK, moving on.


Where to get advice?  Just like how I mentioned Chuck Wendig above, find authors, particularly authors you enjoy reading, authors whose works you've read and whose works are similar to what genre you're writing in.  Follow them on Twitter and Facebook.  Find their blogs, read about their trials and tribulations.  Ask them questions.  Visit them at Conventions, sit on their panels, meet them in the bar afterwards and buy them a drink.  OK, don't STALK them, but you know, be cool.  They all started somewhere, probably where you're sitting right now, and they probably did a lot of what you're looking to do.  In other words, they are an "authority".


Ultimately, these are the things I'm doing and they work for me.  Find what works for you and do that.  It's the best advice I've gotten since "put your butt in the chair and get words on the page".

As always, thanks for reading and thanks for your support!

~Stephan

3 comments:

  1. I guess I know who this post is aimed at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you guess or do you know? Either way, you would be surprised to learn that I don't use this blog to actually target anyone in particular. That's what Facebook is for؟ If I do, then I mention them by name and it's usually in the manner of what I learned from the person.

    This blog is precisely what it states, a record of my trials and tribulations of becoming a published author.

    Assuming a post is aimed at you is self-aggrandizing, attention-seeking and quite a bit egotistical. Neither one of those things are helpful in assisting a friend in achieving their goal, so then, the question is raised, what was the purpose of this statement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, I don't want to get into a whole big thing here. It's all in good fun, not trying to ruffle feathers or anything of the sort. My comment from yesterday was just a passing mention that I thought was funny more than anything.

    ReplyDelete